Where is your sacred space? Mine is by the ocean or in front of my mother’s altar where I keep her photos and some of her personal items. We all need a place where we can go and “just be” – a personal, sacred place that we call our own. A place where we can escape our worries of the day.
Let your personal space be sacred
A place to keep away the negative thoughts
A place to escape the hostilities, anger and worries of the day
A place to help keep your mind, heart and soul cool and peaceful
A place that surrounds you with positive, loving flowing energy
A place just for you to take care of you
Our lives are so busy and noisy that we often forget about the healing power of silence. Of course it’s not possible to control the noise level in the world around us. But at home, we have the power to turn down the noise and take a deep breath. Why not take it a step further and create a sacred space of peace and healing?
A sacred place of calmness where you can recharge and renew can promote strengthened relationships with others, positive emotions, and a sense of happiness. Whatever your spiritual beliefs may be, it can be calming to have a special place in your home reserved for quiet me-time and reflection.
In your daily life, you have so much to do. Between work, family, and errands, you hardly have a moment for yourself. This is why having a special place to unwind and renew your connection with your inner self and spirit is so important.
Here are five inspiring ideas for creating your sacred space:
- Define your meaning of “sacred”. Do you need a space for yoga, meditation or spiritual connection? Does sacred mean uplifting, peaceful and spiritual? What does it mean to you?
- Find a place in your home that encourages a quiet unplugging from your day. You could use a special seat, sofa or a small corner of a quiet room. It doesn’t have to be a whole room and it can be outside. Once you pick your special place, it will encourage you to sit down and take a much needed moment for yourself.
- Personalize your space. Decorate your space with personal items that are meaningful to you. A shell you found at the beach, a photo from your last vacation, or a handmade family quilt.
- Surround yourself with inspiration. Fill your space with meaningful quotes, scented candles, relaxing music, plants and any other items that uplift your spirit. Your sacred space is your safe haven when stress comes your way.
- Create a ritual. Now that you have created your sacred space, you have to decide how you will honor it. Will you use it to meditate for a few minutes every morning? Will you just sit, with your eyes closed, enjoying a few minutes of peace with your cat on your lap? Will you use it to unwind with a cup of green tea every evening? No matter how much time your ritual takes, make it a habit and make it special.
Every one needs healthy rituals to nourish and relax. Find a spot in your home that you walk by often, and place a collection of objects that have meaning to you. I hope you create yours!